Yuyuantan Park is located on the southern end of Sanlihe Road, with its main gate directly opposite the Southern Road of the Altar of the Moon (Yuetan Nanjie). In the past it was known as Angler's Terrace because in the Jin Dynasty, an official named Wang Yu secluded himself here in the guise of a fisherman.
This, however, is not the real Angler's Terrace, but merely a terrace built in honor of the emperor's inscription. The actual terrace stands to the north of the Room for Convalescence (Yangyuanzhai). There were a spacious hall and a pool where the emperors went fishing. In 1773, Emperor Qianlong had an imperial resort constructed here. The lake was then dredged and enlarged with spring water diverted from the Fragrant Hills (Xiangshan).
Address: Fuxinglu, Haidian District.
Bus No. 114, 320, 717, and 727, arrive at Yuyuantan; No. 300, 323, 374, and特8, arrive at Fuchenglu.
(China.org.cn. May 16, 2008)